[AMPS] Re: 30L1 Grid Circuit

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Sun, 18 May 97 23:01:58 -0700

>On Sat, 17 May 97 20:21:24 -0700, Rich Measures <measures@vc.net>
>wrote:
><snip>
>
>>The reason why Collins Radio Co. did not neutralize the 30L-1 is because
>>there is no way to neutralize a single ended g-g amplifier....snip...

>Are you sure there's no way to neutralize a single ended GG amp?

Yes.  GG amps are already neutralized at the operating frequency.  Is it
possible to put a bucket of water in a bucket that is already filled with
water?
  Why is Ameritron-MFJ the only g-g amp. mfg. on the planet that claims
to "neutralize"?   Ask Warren Bruene, W5OLY,  about the Rauchian
"neutralization" circuit.

>MyAL-1200 has what the manual calls a neutralizing circuit.  It's a
>small toroid transformer which feeds some of the anode energy back to
>the cathode with 180 degree phase reversal.

I find no such circuit in Eimac's  *Care and Feeding.........*.  It does
not seem very likely to me that a person who rejects AC circuit analysis
would be capable of better RF-engineering than Eimac.

>There is a neutralizing
>"tab" (capacitor) adjacent to the anode, and the manual says "In the
>event the tab becomes displaced, proper neutralization will occur when
>the maximum output power and grid current and minimum plate current
>appear concurrently."
>
>If that isn't neutralizing, what is it?

 A delusion?  'Do'  claimed there was a ufo parked behind the comet.  B.
Stanley Pons and Martin Fleischmann claimed that 'Cold Fusion' worked.
 In my opinion, the AL-1200 can not oscillate at the fundamental
frequency---but it can occasionally oscillate at the anode circuit's VHF
resonance.
  Mr. Rauch told me that it is impossible for an amplifier he designed to
have a VHF parasitic oscillation.  I asked him why not.  His answer
"Because Tom Rauch designed them."
 The zenith of Mr. Rauch's VHF-stability confidence level was apparently
the AL-1500.  It alone uses no VHF suppressor whatsoever in the 8877's
anode circuit.  I have spoken with a number of AL-1500 owners who had
more than one tube suddenly fail during the 12-month warranty period.
This subject was brought up at least eight times during the vhf
parasitics debate, but to no avail.  Mr. Rauch stonewalled.  Do real
experts stonewall?
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K