[AMPS] Alpha 76

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Tue, 20 May 97 06:07:42 -0700

>Hi All!
>
>	An acquaintance of mine has an Alpha 76 that he may be willing to sell.
>Since I have no experience with amplifiers, I could use some advice:
>
>1	Is this a good model?
It lacks a tuned input.  However, if you are using a tube-output radio to
drive it, like the TS-830S, this is not a problem.
>Certainly more current models from Alpha seem to
>have a good rep.
Approximately one third of the 80 series Alpha owners I have communicated
with have had to return theirs to the factory.  During the last several
weeks I've heard from one 87 owner who had to have his repaired four
times, and one 86 owner whose amplifier. has been back to the factory
three times.
>2	Anything special to look out for?
Gold-sputtering damage to the 8874s can be a potentially costly problem.
If you have access to a high potential tester, do the Funderberg test to
put you mind at rest.
>3	What is a fair price range? I assume that the price depends on the age of
>the tubes. Any suggestions on how to figure that in?
The emissivity of the cathodes has more to do with how much gold
melt-ball contamination is present than it has to do with the age of the
tubes.  [see Eimac letter at:
http://www.vcnet.com/measures

>Thanks.
>
>Glenn    W6KNB