[AMPS] K2AW's High Voltage Rectifier Modules

Ron Hooper ab4ru@stc.net
Thu, 29 May 1997 23:00:04 +0100

Phil Clements wrote:

> Before shooting off our mouths about a very nice person and his very nice
> products, why not take a moment or two to get the facts? Deja-vous, eh Rich?
>
> 1. K2AW Modules are made by hand by K2AW, with TLC!
>
> 2. Each module has a string of General Instrument 1N5408 diodes, personally
>    matched by Frank before potting in "environmentally correct" epoxy. The
>    6kv module has 6 1N5408's, the 14kv module has 14 1N5408's etc.
>
> 3. Although the diodes are rated at 3 amps, Frank derates the module to 1 amp
>    to make them "idiot proof" as they are used all over the world by many
>    services.
>
> 4. There are over 20,000 modules in use in over 50 countries.
>
> 5. As I stated earlier, I have abused his products for 15 years with ZERO
>    FAILURES.

  Thanks for coming forward Phil and others supporting my orginal
posting concerning the K2AW diode blocks. I know what works and have
pushed the ratings a bit. I dont know who it was orginally said the
blocks were out of a microwave oven but apparently just threw it out to
get folks stired up on the reflector. False information is certainlly
not welcome here. I really dont care if they are used in an electric
razor. I have yet to see anyone on the reflector, that has actually used
them, report failure. All the comments were positive from folks like
ourselves that has used them.
  In defense of the miocrowave oven manufacture's I will make this
comment. How many folks you know that has placed tin foil or some
conductive material in a microwave? What was the results? It kicks the
20a breaker out right. I hardly conclude that a microwave oven is not
subjected to abuse. I would estimate that happens 1000's of times dailey
all over the world.
  There seems to be some contradiction on which is cheaper a string or
Blocks? Now be fair and add in the time for building the units (without
Cap's and resistors) mounting the board, and the quality of workmanship
used. I guess if you figure your time is worth nothing and get all your
materials free or something its economical. If you were in mass
production of string diode units, with a drill jig and quanity
purchases, paying folks minumim wage you could undercut the cost of
blocks. Since I prefer all my projects to look professional and excede a
high standard of quality, I prefer the blocks over the strings. If I
ever experience a failure I can replace a block much quicker than
unsoldering the diodes and re-soldering new ones back in. I seem to
always loose the whole string when I was using strings.

  Ron W4WA