[AMPS] An open response to Tom, W8JI

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Thu, 6 Nov 97 12:30:58 -0800

>Hello all,
>
>First, I like to apologize to everyone on this mailing list if the two
>Alpha ads I posted yesterday were inappropriate.

IMO, they were not.

> As a new recipient of
>this list, I didn't see any policy information from the "owner" of this
>list, Bill Fisher - W4AN except the following information from the "Welcome
>to amps" message I initially received:

Bill is cool.  He seems to realize that censorship is certain to scuttle
the ship.

>     Welcome to the RF Amplifier Mail Reflector
>     This reflector is devoted to the discussion of RF amplifiers.
>
>     Bill Fisher, W4AN
>     w4an@contesting.com
>
>As a long time ham and Alpha user, I joined this list to gather and share
>any information which might help me and others enjoy and more efficiently
>use our RF amps.  I love my Alpha 87A amp and don't feel it is
>inappropriate to share some timely information with other hams and Alpha
>users.
>
>What I find most interesting is the immediate negative response I (we)
>received from Tom (W8JI) within seconds of posting the Alpha ads yesterday.
> I received the following message via email:
>
>>You must be new at internet Sandy.
>>A posting like yours is considered trash and poor manners by most people.
>>
>>73, Tom W8JI
>
>No, Tom, I'm not new to the Internet.  ...snip...

IMO, Sandy, "trash and poor manners" would be someone who e-mails me and
says he wants to have a serious debate on the Internet in regards to some
of the articles I wrote for *QST* magazine.  The debate begins.  However,
in the middle of the debate, when things are not looking great, he tries
to cut a covert deal with me via e-mail to end the debate -  seemingly to
save his smouldering biscuits.

Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K