[AMPS] failures

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Sat, 8 Nov 97 08:44:50 -0800

><< [snip]
>
> >Rich, although being blessed with a silver tongue,  is unfortunately
> >an example of Pathological tunnel vision  science at its very
> >worse. I'm sure he honestly believes in what he says, unfortunately
> >it is 99% nonsense.
>
> Frankly, I could care less whose THEORY is right so long as somebody has a
> CURE for the problems which the contrasting theories attempt to explain.
>
> Mr. Measures' "cures" work; nobody else has yet come up with any better
> explanation of WHY they work, much less any better "cure". I think I'll go
> along with what works, no matter how "silver-tongued" Mr. Measures might
> sound, thank you very much, Mr. Rauch.

OTOH, Mr. Rauch did turn out to be 'absolutely correct'.  One can build a
silver conductor VHF parasitic suppressor for a 3-500Z that has a lower
VHF-Rp than a resistance-wire VHF suppressor.   For instance, a 200nH Ls
and a 200 ohm Rs.  The resultant Rp is only 60 ohms at 100MHz.  This is
clearly better than the 101 ohms for the nichrome-60 resistance-wire
suppressor {Wes, N7WS} -- and it is way better than Mr. Rauch's
suppressor for the AL80B, which Wes measured at 166 ohms.  .  .  However,
the trade-off with the clearly-superior admittedly-lovely
highly-conductive silver strap Ls, is that Rs is going to dissipate 43w
at 29MHz -- which is hardly good news for your typical 3W-rated  MOF
resistor.  -  -  Thus, the advantage of a resistance wire Ls is that it
reduces VHF-Rp - without increasing the dissipation burden on Rs.  {Mr.
F. E. Handy wrote about resistance-wire VHF suppressors on page 72 of the
1926 *...Handbook*.}

The laugher is that Mr. Rauch probably realized this in in December,
1996.  The rope began to unravel on 28 November, 1996 when Mr. Rauch
proposed that We add 5 ohms of ESR to Ls and perform some calculations.
However, he quickly cancelled his post, and he has stonewalled the
subject ever since. .  .   Ironically, when Wes measured a typical
nichrome resistance-wire Ls, the 200MHz ESR turned out be 4.99 ohms!

-  So, where does one buy a a sub10nH 200 ohm resistor that can dissipate
45w?  Not at Radio Shack (tm).    Cesivid, Inc. [716 286 7610] can make
such resistors.  Their rep told me that a minimum order would be 1000
pieces at roughly $11 each.

> Let's knock off the vitriolic personal attacks, please, people... ...snip...

There is always a tender nerve behind the bull's-eye.

> Geez...this reminds me of the medicine man versus the shalaman.
-  -  or maybe the not-an-expert versus the self-declared 'expert'.

> 73, Steve Ko0U/1
>  >>

>Here here Steve!
>It was so nice...the last month or so...with no pissing contest going on !
>Lets see...who was missing?...Oh ya...that W8 STATION!
>TG - W6TG

In a debate, if you aren't sure who won, it's a pretty sure bet that the
guy who fired off the most piss is the one who lost.

---Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K