[AMPS] Automatic tuning of a VHF amp

km1h @ juno.com km1h@juno.com
Mon, 10 Nov 1997 12:33:33 EST

Dave, how important is it to have to retune once the amp is set up and
running?

In my 2M 3CX1000A7 I have had no need to retune in over 7 years....since
I built it.

I also did away with the mechanical problems of flappers, etc by using a
small vacuum variable for Tune and NO control for Load. Load was
determined by moving the output ( a small piece of copper strap soldered
to the N Connector) along the split line until I was able to obtain rated
grid current. It was then silver soldered in place.

The amp runs an honest  60% efficiency and does 1500W with ease at 80W of
drive.
I suppose the input circuit could be measured and replicated inside with
no outside control and the Tune vacuum could be oriented also for a
completely blank panel.

The split line is coupled via 6  100pf 858 series doorknobs and there is
absolutely no tuning drift even after 3 minutes key down.  The B+ has a
real HV fuse for safety along with a breaker on the 240VAC mains in the
PS portion.

Just a thought.

73  Carl  KM1H