[AMPS] bias

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Fri, 14 Nov 97 08:30:28 -0800

>I forgot to mention that either a three tone test with two of the tones
>close together (as, I believe, advocated by W8JI) or a 2 tone test with
>close tone spacing (<25Hz) really shows up some of the problems in power
>supplies and bias supplies for solid state as well as tube amplifiers.

Anode supplies, yes.  However, for a typical grid-driven linear
amplifier, virtually zero current is drawn from the bias supply.  And for
a typical cathode-driven linear amplifier,  bias potential comes from a
string of forward-biased silicon rectifiers, or from a Zener diode in
series with the negative HV return.  Thus, there is no bias supply per
se.
Rich--

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K