[AMPS] Solid State Relay for Anode Primary ?

Dave Kirkby davek@medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 11:58:48 +0000

> >Is there any reason I shouldn't use a solid state relay to switch
> >an anode transformer primary (2.5Kw level) ? I've noticed that
> >25 Amp versions are available that switch on at zero crossing.
> >Sounds like a nice way to eliminate the mechanical relay with current
>
> >limit resistor for surge protection.

I do know of an instance where a friend G8WYI got a nasty belt from the
HT supply he thought was off. Although never proved conclusively, I
believe the reason was the leakage of the solid state relay allowed the
HT caps to become charged (fortunatly not to full HT), even though the
relay was "off".

I intend using one on my next HT supply, as one can remove the power to
the primary quickly in the event of a flashover. However, I would not
rely on it completely.

--
Dave Kirkby G8WRB
Department of Medical Physics,

Tel: 0171 209 6406 (International +44 171 209 6406)
Fax: 0171 209 6269 (International +44 171 209 6269)