[AMPS] tube compatability

km1h @ juno.com km1h@juno.com
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 08:21:05 EST

On Thu, 20 Nov 1997 14:52:46 -0700 al511@freenet.uchsc.edu (Robert Neece)
writes:

>With respect to 3CX800A7's, and the like, Tom, W8JI, writes:
>
>>Be sure to add a grid over-current protection circuit to your amp, if
>
>>it does not have one, or you will eat up tubes.
>>
>>A fuse is NOT enough, nor is a warning light.  You need something
>that
>>quickly knocks the [name your amp] off line if the Ig ever gets over
>>[name your maximum comfort level] mA... even for a brief instant.
>
>Agreed.
>
>My copy of Bill Orr's Radio Handbook shows one version of a grid
>over-current protection circuit designed, as I recall, by W8ZR.
>Some years ago, a fellow (might have been ZR) was selling
>printed-circuit
>boards for his own flavor of circuit.

W8ZR's was an 8877, that Orr Handbook circuit has also been updated by ZR
( Prez of Miami University) but not published.
The 3CX800 circuit you're thinking of may the one in HRM by K8CC. That
circuit had a complete set of boards available from Radiokit for many
years. The boards are probably still available from FAR Circuits.

GL   Carl   KM1H