[AMPS] SB 220 vice SB221

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Mon, 24 Nov 97 08:28:27 -0800

>> From:          Rich Measures <measures@vc.net>
>
>> Three times the anode supply potential of 2900v would be 8700v.  It makes
>> little sense to me that the anode voltage could possibly soar to such
>> heights when a tank is essentially out of resonance.
>
>If you read what I wrote carefully, you'll see I specified the tank
>IS resonant, the load is simply removed.

Yes, but the SB-220 tune C typically arcs when the load is connected,
well after the amplifier has been tuned up.  I have inadvertently tuned
my SB-220 up with the load removed.  There was no arcing in the tune C,
(whose measured withstanding ability was 3600v).  .  .  .  8700v doesn't
wash.

>How this happens is simple.
>...snip...

Translation:  "Simple" usually means long and convoluted 'explanation' to
cover exposed posterior.

>...snip...

Congrats John F., you were right about the smoke and mirrors.  Thanks for
the warning.

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K