[AMPS] Re: Storing/Operating Tubes Horizontally

Phil Clements philk5pc@connect.net
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 20:54:43 -0600

Rich said:
>>Is there such a statement from Eimac, Carl?

>Yup

>>It does not seem be in the 3-500Z spec. sheet.

>No, it is not. It was in a form letter sent back to those who sent
>tubes in for replacement. I sold Eimac tubes 1986-91.
>I also believe it was published in one of the rags by Bill
>Orr....maybe.

>>I don't buy it.  With incandescent tungsten, yes, with cold tungsten,
>>not.  At room temperature tungsten is extraordinarily rigid.

I was always told the reason most glass Eimac tubes and later post/RCA
811A's cannot be stored or operated horizontally has nothing to do with
the filament. It is the strength of the material that holds the other
tube elements in place that will eventually loose the battle to gravity.
Dropping one of these type tubes on its side during shipment can also
speed up the process of causing misalignment of the elements.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC