[AMPS] SB220/SB221

km1h @ juno.com km1h@juno.com
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 20:15:02 EST

On Wed, 26 Nov 97 16:16:26 -0800 Rich Measures <measures@vc.net> writes:

Lots of SNIPS...not worth repeating

>>I did tell you very clearly that the 220 had a problem with VLF
>>parasitics ...snip...
>
>Indeed you did mention this scenario.  However, it didn't wash because
>
>there is no VLF resonant circuit in the anode, and the 50uH HV-RFC has
>
>rather low reactance at VLF..  IMO, the VLF issue looks like yet
>another
>rauchian smokescreen.

So why dont one of you guys prove that one way or another. Set up a
SB-220 at a neutral location and have at it.   Just stop the bull shit
here.

>>> If your amplifier arced mysteriously, it might be interesting to
>measure
>>> the resistance of the VHF parasitic suppressor resistor.
>>
>>Heat any carbon comp resistor to 150-200 degrees C for years and
>>measure it. Carbon composition resistors change value from long term
>>temperature exposure, anyone in electronics for a period of time
>>should know that much.
>>
>True enough, Mr. Rauch, however the suppressor resistors that were
>being
>promptly damaged in my amplifier were essentially shorted out by
>several
>inches of #16-gauge copper bus-wire - - and the fatal damage was
>happening during operation at 7.25MHz.
>
>>It's pretty darned hot up at the anode connectors. That's why the
>>resistors change.
>
>There is a gale of fresh cooling air at that spot in the SB-220.  The
>changes were typically taking place in less than a minute.  .
>
>>It matters not what the heat is from, nor can you
>>tell some time later what did it. All you know is it was heat.

Rich you seem to have a one track mind that everything is parasitics. In
the SB-220 I can see at least 4  reasons for pyrotechnics in the RF deck:
- Parasitics
- Gas
- Mistuning... which will overheat the suppressor resistor and then it is
downhill from there.
- Secondary  VHF reasonance in the tank...even when tuned properly on an
HF band.

Give it a rest please...will you? Tom and I have bitched at length and
will continue to do so at times I am sure;  but we dont continue the same
F/N argument on for years.

Have a happy Thanksgiving ALL.

73  Carl  KM1H