[AMPS] Alpha87a + DAS

( Sante ) IK0HBN ik0hbn@isa.it
Fri, 10 Oct 1997 10:03:01 +0100

HI.
Several days ago i posted the following message to another reflector. A lot
of friends let me note that AMPS would have been the RIGHT refl. So I post
it again to your attention.
Thank you
Sante
-----
Hi,
first, as an happy customer, I would like to publicly thank ALPHA POWER for
having resolved the problem which has prevented me for 4 years to use
amplifier in automatic mode when going on 40. The previous Alpha support
,IMHO, was lacking of care toward the customers as after I do not remeber
how many phone calls faxes, the problem had been always ignored by Dick.
Dave, in a bat of an eye, had sent me the right sequences to input the
amplifier and everything now has turned right.
As a customer turned happy, I would like using the DAS (digital antennas
selector) to change my several antennas in my shack. Das allows to select
up to 6 antennas for every band...go figure six antennas for topband...hi,
but i ask to you that probably use this cool stuff in your shack.
As learnt in years, quite often, to the same SWR, when tuning an amplifier
the TUNE and LOAD setting are different. I try to explain myself. At the
moment I use for 40 meter a GAP voyager, and a 2 el. phased verticals and
even if the SWR of these to antennas are the same, when tuning the ALPHA,
TUNE and LOAD setting vary enough, to the point that if I perfectly tune
the Gap when changing to the phased array, the amplifier has something
mistuned, even if I force myself to reduce SWR at 1,5:1. The explanation, I
mean, is in the different amount of inductance-capacitance needed, so my
answer is:
Is it possible, using the DAS, save also the tuning setting for each
antennas in a RAM? iside the Alpha, or the Das..is not important.
How do you do, while contesting to change several antennas without retuning
manually such Amplifier?
If not possible saving in hardware manner, does exist a software that could
do it, so that when you choice an antenna the computer sends to the
amplifier the proper setting?
Months ago I asked to one my friend to do such a software....he realized a
little prg, not suitable for the "fires of the battle" but that could send
to the Alpha the proper setting for each antenna selected, as the link
between amplifier and computer is two-way, so to allow...eg, TUNE=60, LOAD=50.
This is not the fruit of a couple of wine glass in excess...hi
but if you remember the advertising of Ray several years ago on QST about
that stuff, he himself was saying...one more or later will do that?
Any suggestion from the site in which entirely stations have been computer
controlled at far distance?
Thank you
Sante

--
                                  \\||//
THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT BY:         (.)(.)