[AMPS] SB-220 failure

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Mon, 1 Sep 97 14:24:12 -0800

>> To:            n4zr@contesting.com, amps@contesting.com
>
>> On Mon, 01 Sep 1997 12:18:30 Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com> writes:
>> >This morning, while tuning up my SB-220 on 15 meters, I did the
>> >flash-bang-bad smell number, followed by a sudden flare of white light
>> >from
>> >one of the 3-500Zs in my SB-220.  As long-time readers may recall,
>> >this amp
>> >has the AG6K parasitic suppressors.

>Probably a gassy tube. Nearly all amplifier problems BLAMED on
>parasitics are simply gassy tubes.

Ah yes, Rauchian Gas.  It allegedly disappears during the trip between
the tube socket and the high-pot tester on the bench.

>Replace the bad tube and repair the damage. Anything you do to the
>suppressor won't make a bit of difference, except add  $29.95
>to the California economy. :-)

The price of the suppressor retrofit kit is $14.50.  So, doing things to
the suppressor won't make a bit of difference?  To see for yourself:
http://www.vcnet.com/measures/Rp_comp.html
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K