[AMPS] Heath SB-230

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Wed, 3 Sep 97 00:01:45 -0800

>> From:          Rich Measures <measures@vc.net>
>> Date:          Tue, 2 Sep 97 21:00:45 +0000
>
>> >1.) It has no grid protection circuit, making it possible to easily
>> >overdrive and damage the grid.
>
>> Over-drive is most likely to strip the oxide coating from the cathode.
>> [see photo in "Parasitics Revisited" (9/90 - 10/90 QST)  ...
...snip...

>The grid dissipation is FIVE watts. Rated grid dissipation is reached
>at about 60 mA of grid current in the SB-230.

According to Eimac's constant current curves for the 8873/4/5, the
cathode-to-grid driving voltage is roughly 40V-peak, or 28 V rms.
28V*0.06A = 1.68W.  . . It sorta looks like that in the Rauchian World,
P=3(I*E).

>Anyone in their right mind would know a 100 watt exciter could easily
>cook a five watt grid if the PA is underloaded. ...

SB-230s reportedly destroy the 8873 some time after being loaded
correctly.

>Anyone doubting that should ask Eimac,...
...snip...

Sounds like a good idea, Mr. Rauch.  In 1986, I asked Eimac. . .
However, when you call Eimac these days, you won't be talking to tube
engineer.

Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K