[AMPS] SB-220 problem

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Fri, 5 Sep 1997 19:16:27 -0400

a true wirewound and at least 15W rated.

Directly grounding the grids in an otherwise unmodified 220 is asking for
fireworks and possible tube destruction.  I also suspect that those stock
parasitic suppressors are junk by now.

The problem with many mods is that they only play when you use them all.
Mod 2 fixes the problems of Mod 1,etc.

IMO, unless you are willing and able to rebuild that amp with all the
necessary protection circuitry, going to pure GG is asking for tube
suicide.

KISS, put in real suppressors, the HV resistor and always load heavily
and it will last forever.....at least till next week.

BTW, I hope you have not blown a bandswitch contact during this learning
experience.

73....Carl   KM1H