[AMPS] CENTURION HELP

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Fri, 5 Sep 97 21:51:25 -0800

>According to a friend who had one, the early
>CENTURIANS kept full idle current,
>even in the stand-by mode!

The only way this could happen is if the bias potential during receive is
not what it is supposed to be.

>Apparently, they also had problems with the
>BIAS  transistor which could explain excessive
>current conditions.  Check the bias voltages
>and components.

Agreed, Tom.  There must have been a large current surge through the
3-500Zs for the 15A-rated bias transistor to short.  If the measured
potential between the filament CT and the chassis is zero V, I'm guessing
C-E shorted transistor.
-  Possible Causes  -
1.  Anode to grid short caused by defective anode-cooler spotwelds (Eimac
only). -/- Visually inspect anode cooler alignment.
2.  Air in envelope due to leaking glass/metal seal.  -/-  Test vacuum at
8kV on a high pot.
3.  Intermittent VHF oscillation.  -/-  Measure the ohms of the VHF
suppressor resistor.  Measure grid-filament breakdown potential.  If the
breakdown V is less than 5 or 6 kV, a bent filament helix is indicated.
IMO, such oscillations can bend the filament helix.  [See "Parasitics
Revisited" in the 9/94 *QST*].  Also inspect 10m contacts on bandswitch.
Damaged contacts indicate that such an oscillation may have occurred.

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K