[AMPS] Linear with 4CX800A

KR4DAGRIP@aol.com KR4DAGRIP@aol.com
Sun, 7 Sep 1997 12:21:19 -0400 (EDT)

<< "Power on a Budget" by W6FR was a very  good article, but I'd suggest
 a few changes.

 First, the auto bias circuit has a slow rise time because the 1 mFd
 capacitor at D1's cathode has to charge through a 1.5 k resistor in
 series with the reactance of a 33 pF capacitor. On lower bands, the
 time constant is very slow, and that will cause slow bias removal on
 the leading edge of speech, and class C opertion for an instant of
 time. The impedance at the output of D1 needs to be greatly
 increased, meaning a much larger value of hang time resistor
 and much smaller value than the 1 mFd cap should be used.

Hi Tom,
You seem to contribute to this reflector quite abit....
I have no knowledge of Legal limit amatuer amps......
But what/which AMP would you pick from the QST article as it
is written on that bases alone? As there are probably quite a few out here
like me who would use the article to make a decision.
Just curious.....Measures and that other expert might want to select one out
of that
article and tell us why they choose it.

73 de KR4DA Bob LAwrenceville GA