[AMPS] RE;Two questions

Bill Turner wrt@eskimo.com
Mon, 08 Sep 1997 23:28:10 GMT

On Mon, 8 Sep 1997 10:48:11 +0100, Peter Chadwick
<Peter.Chadwick@gpsemi.com> wrote:
>But I heard a story
>once (which I can't trace) that running high power fils on DC can lead
>to some strange corrosion effects on the filament internally - sounds
>unlikely to me - anyone any info?

I don't know about corrosion, but I did hear once years ago that it
wasn't a good idea to run DC on filament-type tubes because a DC bias
appears across the emitting surface.  The negative end of the filament
would emit more electrons than the positive end.  Naturally, this does
not apply to heater-cathode type tubes.

Whether this causes a real problem or not I don't know, but it sounds
like it could.  I'd avoid it.

73, Bill W7TI