[AMPS] Henry 2K-3 - Help needed

Gerald D'Entremont cdent@tenet.edu
Sat, 27 Sep 1997 20:01:15 -0500

Hi ya'll:
	New to the reflector and looking for advice.
I'm in the process of acquiring a Henry 2K-3 that has somehow (who
knows?)
become separated from its floor console.  This leaves me with some
options
at this point that I'm unclear on.  The om I'm getting it from has the
'fixins' for a HB supply that he has begun in a (short) 19" rack
cabinet.
I'm still waiting on final details (as well as for the amp to get here)
but
my understanding is that he is using two 1000V ct xfmrs for the plate
and
suitable caps to configure a filter network and diode for a full-wave
bridge.
Now my questions:
	I know (from the review in June '65 QST) that the <original> 2-K
used a 6000V ct plate xfmr and a choke-input filter with a pair of
3B28's
in a full-wave bridge. Interpolating with values called out in my old
P. Dahl catalog, I see a couple of differences.  QST sez the plate xfmr
is rated @ 1A, while the "original" replacement from Dahl is spec'd at
.5A CCS.  QST states an 8-hy choke (current not spec'd), while the Dahl
replacement is 17.6-hy @ 500mA CCS (700mA ICAS), designed to resonate w/
a .1 mfd 7500V cap. A separate fil. xfmr supplies 5.5 vct @ 30A.
	My QST collection only goes up to '66 ;-), so I don't have any other
details to go on than what the Dahl cat. shows for the later-series
Henry's,
but I see that the 2K-2 and 2K-3/4 went to a single xfmr w/3500V @ 400mA
ICAS for the "original" on the first secondary and 10.2 vct @ 15A CCS on
the
second winding. 'Course you can spend more $ and go to 800mA CCS if ur
inclined.
	Am I better off trying not to "re-invent the wheel" and going to a
single plate xfmr w/higher volage on it and picking up a suitable choke
as well
or can I run a pair of 3-500's in this thing w/a separate 1000V xfmr on
each
plate, followed by a suitable voltage multiplier circuit, and running a
capacitor-
input filter?  The full-wave bridge configuration he was lashing up
planned
a doubler to run 2000V on the plate. Am I better served to configure a
tripler
to bump the plate voltage to 3000 on these tubes, presuming I can do so
w/adequate
regulation or should I just give up on the hope of using what I'm
getting w/the
amp and start over from scratch?
	Pardon me if I'm asking questions which are glaringly obvious, but I
want
to do this right.  I'm running an SB-220 right now (that has apparently
fallen to
the dreaded "parasitic syndrome") and want to wind up with something
more robust
if I succumb to my constesting aspirations.  Gentlemen?

73, Gerald  W5BA
cdent@tenet.edu