[AMPS] PT1000 is Running but I need to Pick Your Brains Again

Kevin Nathan knathan@ibm.net
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 21:34:26 -0700

	Hi All,

Well, the PT1000 is up and running and putting out full power on all bands.
 I do have one difficulty that I need some assistance with.  I hope you all
can help me with this.

Let me begin by telling you all that I am totally blind.  With all amps
I've owned in the past including the dentron 160-10L, Drake L75 and the Amp
Supply LK500ZB, I've always been able to apply low power from the exciter
and use my audio tuning indicator to listen for maximum RF out which
corresponds to plate dip and peak loading.  These settings could usually be
achieved no matter where I started with the tune and load controls.
However, with the Viewstar PT1000, it is necessary to preset the controls
to given numbers on the vernier dials in order to tune it properly.
Failure to do this results in arcing on the higher bands.  I have tried
adhesive markers on the dials but they don't seem to want to stick.

So my question to all of you is can you first of all speculate as to why
these controls have to be set so close on this amp and second, what I might
do to bullet proof it to the point where this tuning is not so critical.  I
would sincerely appreciate any suggestions since I want to be able to
operate the amp independently of sighted assistance.  Since I really don't
want to start another shooting match here, if you wish or are willing, you
could call me by phone at (208) 377-9702 in the evenings.

Again, thanks and 73 from K7RX.
Kevin nathan