[AMPS] A "no tune" amplifier output section/operation question.

Skip S Isaham nospam4me@juno.com
Mon, 06 Apr 1998 23:31:26 EDT

Hello again,

I have a question about the No Tune type of amplifiers that are/were
offered for sale to amateurs through the years.

Would one of you take a moment to mention the makeup and considerations
of the "no tune" tube amplifier, I'd appreciate it. I've seen only the
outside of the Alpha, there was also an Amp Supply or Dentron version
using sweep tubes?
I've been told at one time there was also a no tune amp from one of the
older amateur equipment mfgrs, prob that company is now out of business?

I'm more interested in the PA section and actual operation
considerations.  What type of design and components were used. One report
of the "older unit" mentioned above was that the tank used a toroid coil?
Would the tank Q be seriously reduced for the bandwidth? Did the mfgr
follow up with a LPF to make up for the reduced Q? Was a pi section the
preferred output circuit, etc... etc...   You get the idea. I'm just
curious how the mfgr made the output section play.
Is/was this type of tube amplifier practical or is/was it more a
convenience/selling feature for the operator.
Last but not least, did the tube(s) operate at reduced levels for the
reflected power or mismatch?

Thanks for your answer(s) in advance.
skip
nospam4me@juno.com

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]