[AMPS] Re: Broadband tube type "no tune" amplifiers.

km1h @ juno.com km1h@juno.com
Thu, 09 Apr 1998 08:08:11 EDT

On Thu, 09 Apr 1998 22:31:45 +1200 Martin Ellis <jmellis@ihug.co.nz>
writes:

> There was a series of No-Tune amplifiers sold by Amp Supply Co.
>I have a brochure for the LK-800A which featured three 3CX-800A7
>tubes. I understand this was released at Dayton 1985.

>I do not know how the No Tune up version operated, but I think
>there was a story that it had an extra wafer on the band change
>switch.  The extra wafer may have had an adjustable-preset cap
>on the load side for each band.  Not sure if this is correct,
>but someone may still be operating one of these amps.
>
>Hope this may help.
>
>Martin ZL1ANJ

Martin, Amp Supply built a NT version of all their amps, starting with
the LA-1000 sweep tube version up thru all three 3-500Z style amps and
ending up with the LK-800.
They performed moderately well if you were lucky. The primary problem is
that the individual band Tune caps were poorly voltage rated and arcing
is common particularly with the higher voltage 3-500 amps. I have
converted many back to regular tune amps for customers.
They also are a major pain to align since the cover affects the tuning.

I would be interested in purchasing a LA-1000NT.

73  Carl   KM1H

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]