[AMPS] Emission from Thoria Filaments

KF0FX KF0FX@aol.com
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 08:25:35 EDT

In a message dated 4/30/98 2:16:52 AM Central Daylight Time, measures@vc.net
writes:

<< -  - How does one determine how much tungsten carbide has been formed?:
  .  Tungsten is a better electrical conductor than tungsten-carbide, so
 one can tell how thick the tungsten-carbide layer is by measuring the
 decrease in filament current as the process takes place. >>

Ya, but if the tungsten-carbide layer is at the surface, it's cross-sectional
area must be quite small compared to the entire filament.  I would think
that's a difficult measurement to make.  Admittedly, Eimac's explanation was a
little high level.  Who knows?  I do know that the thorium tends to make the
filament less brittle and easier to handle.

BTW Rich, do you still have that Web site with your manuscripts regarding
amplifiers?  I have a couple of friends here who would like copies of some of
the articles you wrote.

Thanks,
Chris, KF0FX
KF0FX@aol.com