[AMPS] power vs. QRM

Steve Jackson Steve_Jackson@BayNetworks.COM
Mon, 03 Aug 1998 11:13:08 -0400

>Please explain how running more power generates QRM given that the signal
>is clean?  Yes, higher power takes "slightly" more bandwidth, but not
>enough of any significance.

Jon:

If you are in QSO with a given station, whether on a beam or not, the
frequency
you are using is not usable by anyone else within range of your station's
transmitter.  If you increase your range by increasing your power, you have
then
decreased the usability of that frequency.  Some people would call that
"QRM" -
so this is a matter of semantics, not technology.  In this case, a beam can
help...
or not.  I don't usually think of this as QRM, myself.  But, read this
example to
see how somebody else might feel otherwise:

Let's say you had a sked on 3830, and you get on with your buddy.  Someone
else,
beyond the range of your transmitter, does not hear you.  He thinks the
frequency
is clear, and begins calling CQ.  Unfortunately, he is running 1500W and
you now
experience QRM; you can hear him, but he can't hear you.  I won't blame the
guy
for running a gallon when calling CQ... you see the issue?  This is what
people
that complain about kilowatt amps are talking about.  Unfortunately, many hams
can't express themselves well.  I am a writer.... so I have the advantage,
I guess.

Now, we can all talk about how having a big antenna causes QRM, too!!

73 Steve KZ1X/4
(Kilowatt amp owner - and user!)

* * *