[AMPS] Re: power vs. QRM

Jon Ogden jono@enteract.com
Mon, 3 Aug 98 11:41:29 -0500

>If you are in QSO with a given station, whether on a beam or not, the
>frequency
>you are using is not usable by anyone else within range of your station's
>transmitter.  If you increase your range by increasing your power, you have
>then
>decreased the usability of that frequency.

Yes, true.  But band conditions are more important than anything else in
determing the usability of a frequency.  I would dare say that if two
guys are talking on a frequency at 100 watts to each other (especially on
80 meters as per your example), then most of the rest of the US could
hear him.  Let's say though that the guy who is running the 1500 Watts
and QRMing them only comes through at S7 on the receiver of the guys who
are talking.  Now 1500 watts is 11.75 dB above 100 watts.  From our
previous discussions, we know that each S unit is about 6 dB.  Well, then
100 watts back to the guy running 1500 should result in a 2 S unit drop
or S5.  If anyone can't hear at S5 then they got a poor receiver.  I
would say, we could follow this all the way down to poor band conditions
where the chap with 1500 watts is only coming through to the other
stations at S3.  I STILL believe that he should be able to hear the other
stations even though they are at S1.  Now obviously before everyone jumps
on me and tells me how simplistic this is, I understand there are other
factors such as the band might be open in one direction and not the
other, etc.  It's a GENERAL example folks.

But the fact is that if someone running plenty of power keys up on your
frequency with 1500 Watts, they SHOULD be able to hear you bitch at them
unless they don't give two hoots about you.

That's the magic about HF, it doesn't take a lot of power for point A to
allow point B to at least hear them.  Mind you, I don't need to be able
to understand what someone is saying down there in the noise to know that
someone is on frequency.  IMHO, it's a rare case where an example as you
give causes severe problems.

This isn't a personal attack here, just an observation: If we want to
avoid QRMing people who we can't hear, then by this logic we should get
rid of amps, gain antennas and all run QRP only.  I guess it's the same
logic by the people who tell me I should get rid of my SUV so they can
safely drive their Yugo.

73,

Jon
KE9NA