[AMPS] power vs. QRM

pmarkham pmarkham@newsguy.com
Tue, 4 Aug 1998 14:17:21 -0400

> >NOTHING generates more QRM than CONTESTS!...
>

> >You  mean when THOUSANDS of amateurs exercise their
> >right to activate their radios for THEIR enjoyment and pleasure?
>
> I agree!  It's amazing how some people just cannot handle another's
> favorite mode of operation.  I initially bit my lip on this one, but since
> someone else responded I will too.  It seems there are people who think
> that any on air activity other than their own is QRM.  How sad.
>
> Contestors get along fine for the most part with rag chewers, but rag
> chewers simply cannot tolerate contestors.  Being one who likes both, I
> see value in both, but come on, let's not call legitimate operating "QRM."
>  Besides, if someone is "QRMing" you then ask them to QSY and if that
> doesn't work, QSY yourself.
>
> We all have strong opinions, but let's get along!

As a rhetorical question, where does your pleasure end and my pain begin?

In my opinion and speaking in generalities, if I am using a frequency for the typical and
appropriate use of that frequency, and another operator starts using that or an adjacent
frequency, he generates deliberate qrm if he suspects or knows that when he operates his
equipment it will generate substantial interference to my communications. My perspective
is within the context of  what is generally acceptable operating procedures and
techniques, and appropriate equipment specifications.  As a general rule it is irrelevant
what particular interest or mode of operation the offending operator chooses. As a
general rule qrm is a consequence of inconsiderate operation, carelessness, technical
incompetence, equipment failure, etc. regardless of the mode, equipment, or interests of
the operator. Invariably, all but inconsiderate operation can be resolved with a polite
exchange of words. Unfortunately, the major cause of qrm, inconsiderate operation, cannot
be eliminated, easily, due to its deliberate nature.

Power increases the level and impact of all qrm.

For those that wish to dance around what qrm is and the consequences of increased power,
to validate their particular operating habits and interests, so be it. That is human
nature. Do not think, for a second, that all the possible exceptions you may wish to
postulate change the nature of qrm and power.

If propagation changes, I expect qrm.
If I choose to enter a pileup, I expect qrm.
If I choose to enter as or operate among sanctioned contesters, I expect qrm.
If I choose to enter a pissing contest, I expect qrm.
If I choose to work cw among automated digital station, I expect qrm.
If I choose to operate on the frequency of a legitimate "broadcast" service, I expect
qrm.
If I choose to operate on or too close to a frequency occupied by others, I expect qrm.
If I choose to work qrp, I expect qrm
If I choose to operate on an established net frequency, I expect qrm.
If I choose to use archaic or faulty equipment, I expect qrm

If I choose to use a frequency, first, in a manner appropriate to the hobby, with
noticeably few exceptions, I should have every expectation of it being free of
substantial qrm, regardless of whether thousands of other operators wish to net, contest,
dx, ragchew, or chase the dog.

I do not wish to "get along" with inconsiderate operators. As with life and inconsiderate
individuals in general, you either stand your ground as best you can, or do other things.
It aint sad, it's life.

"illegitimi non carborundum".

                                                  Pete/wa4hei

  The meek will not inherit the Earth.