[AMPS] PL-172 pentode

Skip S Isaham nospam4me@juno.com
Fri, 07 Aug 1998 00:21:50 EDT

Hi again,
The PL-172 is a beast unto itself. Although a well designed ceramic tube,
it was only produced by penta (as far as I know).  Not to mention, only
used in that one major production amplifier.
There are still guys out here on the west coast that are tube "dealers"
that would sell you an NOS or good used 172.
The conversion is quite the job requiring a new socket and tube. What
your doing is just using the shell and ps for another amplifier you
design into the cab.
Oh well, parts is parts...
73's
skip
nospam4me@juno.com

>This tube was used in the Hallicrafters HT-33 amp. Can't find any data
on it

The Penta Labs PL-172 is also known as the PL-8295. Don't have a clue why
there are two numbers as they share the same data sheet.

Cathode - Coated unipotential
heater voltage 6.0 volts
heater current 8.2 amps
max plate dissipation 1000 watts
AB1 power out for 3000v on plate 1590

These are right off the Penta Labs data sheet dated 1 june 1962.

As well as I can remember, there are no substitutes for them. Best
conversion might be 4CX1500 or 4CX1600.

73,
Larry - W7IUV
w7iuv@axtek.com
www.axtek.com/w7iuv

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]