[AMPS] maximum output from an Alpha 89

Robert W5AJ w5robert@blkbox.com
Sun, 9 Aug 1998 01:45:04 -0500

My thoughts on testing them at home:
(I believe you are talking about 3cx800's)

1.  Document tube date stamp & serial number for future.
2.  Test the tube - one at a time.
3.  I do mine into a dummy load with a external wattmeter.
4.  Remember, one tube less drive....
5.  Document test results per tube serial # (in amp manual?).
6.  Always get the HV to zero before you touch the plate cap.
I short mine to ground before I touch - also watch the HV meter.
(safety disclaimers...)  After a test they are also HOT.
7.  While testing monitor the grid current carefully with the 3cx800's, too
much
and you will no longer have a tube.
8.  To repeat:  DOCUMENT your test per tube serial number and write it
down!
and date it.
See the ARRL handbook or the tube specification sheet for typical plate
and output.
73  Robert