[AMPS] 4-1000A amp design

Bob Sutton bob.sutton@xtra.co.nz
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 09:09:07 +1200

I've "been there" with the aluminium sockets and cured the instability (in
my case a VHF ocillation) with a VHF series tuned circuit from one of the
cathode/filament pins to chassis (or from a cathode/filament pin to the
grid grounding strip?)  From memory I used about 3 turns of 14g wire, 1/4"
dia, in series with a small (15pfd max) air spaced ceramic trimmer
capasitor with just enough capasitance to kill the oscillation.  Sorry for
the uncertainty, it was built for a friend years ago and my 'RAM' is a
little rusty!

This amp was a "2 hole" lowbander (160M-20M), so I don't know what the
effect of this series tuned circuit would be at the higher bands.   I tried
several different parasitic suppressors in the plate leads but they didn't
help in this case.

FYI ... I used the "coaxial" cathode/filament input tuned circuit from the
old Eimac 3-400Z article, beefed up with 3/8" copper tube and a big fat
inner conductor to handle the 42A filament current of the pair of 4-1000's.
 I found the 50 ohm tapping point was about 1 turn down from the tube.
This circuit worked like the article said it would, and several other
amplifiers have been altered to use this form of input tuned circuit.
Results ... 5.2kV HT on the anodes, 120W drive from TS-830, 3000W RF into a
dummy load  ;-)  with hardly a glow in the plates ... it runs as cool as a
cucumber.

73 ... Bob, ZL1RS