[AMPS] Re: [CW] calling cq / fone ops

Bill Turner, W7TI wrt@eskimo.com
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 12:52:07 GMT

I've lost track of the thread, but someone wrote:

>>My transceiver puts out about 35 watts AM.  I have a linear amplifier.
>>Seems to me the linear ought to be able to amplify an AM modulated
>>carrier just fine:  both side bands and the carrier are all within probably
>>6kHz or so.  That should not be a challenge for a linear,  or am I
>>missing something.  Would like to try it,  but thought I should check
>>with someone first,  hi.  If it can amplify RTTY without perspiring,
>>why not AM?
I haven't seen this mentioned before, but while I love my TS-850S, the
manual contains a serious error in the AM transmit procedure.  The
correct method is to set the PWR control to maximum clockwise and then
adjust the CAR control for about 25 watts output with no modulation.
The manual makes no mention of the PWR control except to say it
controls power in all modes.  The reason this is important is that the
PWR control sets the peak output power which should be 4x the carrier.
If you use it to set carrier power, you will totally compress your
audio.

Mine is an older version, 1992 or so, and it's possible the omission
has been corrected in later versions.  The manual for the TS-690S
which is very similar does have it correct.

73, Bill W7TI