[AMPS] Linears and AM

Jim Reid jreid@aloha.net
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 07:37:34 -1000

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Measures <measures@vc.net>
To: amps@contesting.com <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Monday, August 10, 1998 10:33 PM
Subject: Re: [AMPS] Re: [CW] calling cq / fone ops

Linear amp and AM gain:

> The hat trick is tuning up.  One must tune up the linear amp. at 4x
>the carrier P.- or 140w in this instance.  With most ssb amps, it is best
>to tune up with pulses (50wpm dits or a tuning pulser) to avoid
>overloading the hv supply.  //   Setting the mic. gain is not as
>straightforward as with ssb since the anode/plate meter is steady and
>does not indicate modulation level.  A pep wattmeter is more useful.
>More mic. gain is not mo' betta.  .
>
>For maintaining a reasonable S/N ratio at the receiving end, AM consumes
>more electricity and generates more heat than does SSB.

>  Another disadvantage of AM is that operators tend to make moderately
>boring, ten minute lock-to-talk soliloquies instead of engaging in
>ordinary conversation.  When I operate AM, I operate high speed VOX --
>which drives AMers up the wall.

Aloha Rich,

And thank you a bunch for the tips.  I hope to get some
inter-island AM going out here;  maybe on 40 in the afternoons.  That
way we wouldn't bother anyone on the mainland.  Did you know we
have our own,  almost unique telephony band out here in KH6?
We may use SSB/AM between 7075 and 7100,  in fact in much
of the Pacific US islands may as well as maritime mobile.
Of course we have much Central/South  American QRM in that
segment as well,  hi.

Thanks again,  73,  Jim,  KH7M