[AMPS] Full QSK

Peter Chadwick Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 09:32:57 +0100

David, AA1FA, says:

>The one I have was modified with IN4007 diodes in place of the pin diodes
>(which I believe were MA4PH301's), what cautions are in order to be sure it
>will still perform safely with the SB-2xx series amps (assuming it will
>work with them at all)?

I used 1N4007s as 'pin' diodes. They work, but there appears to be a long
term reliability hazard with them, I found - that was at 100watts. They
tended to go short circuit in a strange way that gave me a T7 note on 80 CW.
It happened after about 9 months, and I tried several manufacturers. Some
unbranded ones didn't have a long recovery time, and got very hot, but even
genuine Motorola ones failed regularly. I've gone back to a relay......