[AMPS] resonance

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Fri, 28 Aug 98 08:25:46 -0800

>John, NS1Z, says
>

>>I'll concede the pi is back to back Ls but, if it is not resonant at the
>>operating frequency, what is it that everyone is tuning it to....

Maximal output and minimal input SWR.

>Firstly, it depends on how you define resonance. When the Q is low, then it
>matters very much which definition you use. The one that is useful when
>applied to all circuits is that the voltage and current at the input are in
>phase.
>
>Especially if there is ANY load reactance, then that's different from the
>sum of the inductive reactances being equal to the sum of the capacitive
>reactances.
>
>So Rich could be right, or he could be wrong, depending on how you look at
>it.
>
>This time, I agree with him.

An experiment:   optimize/tuneup an amplifier's output tank and input pi
networks for a specific band using a 50 ohm termination on the amplifier.
 Shut the amplifier down.  Use a dipmeter to measure the resonant
frequencies of the input and output pi-networks.  .  It may be helpful to
check the dipmeter accuracy with a freq. counter.

Rich...