[AMPS] Carbon Composition Resistors (Swamping Network for Halllicrafters HT-33 A amplifier)

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 11:37:41 -0400

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998 19:21:46 -0500 "Jim Zellmer" <zellmer@raccoon.com>
writes:

>I have a Hallicrafters HT-33A amp sitting on my project shelf.  The
>orginal
>swamping resistor network consisted of 3 200 ohm 20 watt globar
>resistors.
>One is missing and the others have changed in value.
>
>I might add that I chased down the original manufacturer of the
>Glowbar
>carbon resistors.  That particular size would be a special order and
>was
>going to cost about $50 each with a $250 setup charge.  I suppose the
>cost
>would go down with a larger ordrer.
>

>Would a network of  the MOF resistors described below work, assuming
>that
>the use of a 100 watt exciter work as a suitable replacement for the
>origninal Glowbars?  I was thinking of using a seriers parallel
>network of 6
>100 ohm resistors.  Where do you order the Matsushita 3w-rated 100 ohm
>MOF
>resistors described below?
>
>It would be really nice to get the SX-101, HT-32 and HT33A going for
>the
>cold nights a head
>
>TNX ES 73
>
>Jim Zellmer,  KA0VSL

I have an alternate that may work Jim.

The old National NCL-2000 used a swamping network made up from 14 180 Ohm
7W non inductive resistors.
I have several complete networks as removed from 6M conversions....$15
shipped.

No experience with metal oxide in that application but it would appear to
be feasible and any inductive reactance could be tuned out with a
cap......same principle as used with open frame relays on the higher
bands.

73  Carl  KM1H

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]