[AMPS] 3-phase fan motor - summary

Chris W Tran chris.tran@zetnet.co.uk
Sat, 29 Aug 1998 08:57:26 +0100

Saturday 29th August 1998

Thanks to everyone who responded to my posting about how to
run a 3-phase electric motor with only 2 phases available.

5 people told me 'you don't have 2 phases' which surprised
me - Peter G3RZP gave the clear explanation as to why I do have
2 phases here - out in the country near Invergordon, Scotland.
The second phase (240v to neutral, 415v between phases)
was installed to feed underfloor heating, which was disconnected
long ago.

I'll try Dick W0EX's suggestion about the 2 caps (start/run)
(which he posted to the reflector) - I think the large paper caps.
I have should work.  (Dick gives an idea of values needed)
Another possibility I guess is to 'lag' the current in the 3rd
motor winding using an inductor (e.g. a transformer winding) - the
advantage of this is that it would be easier to get rid of the heat
generated, probably.
Some formulae on how to work out the value of inductor or
capacitor would be a help, but running a 3-phase motor off 2 phases
is not exactly a common problem !

BTW - everything in this shack is fan-cooled - the radio, the amp,
the amp PSU, the footswitch, the operator !

73  Thanks

Chris GM3WOJ/GM8V

check:   www.odl.co.uk/gm7v