[AMPS] Re: Henry Roller Inductors/Amps

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 11:36:08 -0500

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998 18:27:48 -1000 "Jim Reid" <jreid@aloha.net> writes:

>>I used to like roller cranks in my race cars also.
>>
>>73  Carl  KM1H
>

>Very interesting evening of discussion!  I had a 1955  Porsche with
>a roller bearing crank.  Operated beautifully!  But you don't want to
>know anything about the repair costs,  hi. I was quite young then,
>and what the heck!

Evening there maybe but early AM here...I went to bed prior to receiving
ur message.

I started with flat head Ford V-8's and went thru the big block
Corvettes...I could probably buy a nice QTH out your way on the money I
threw into toys!

>I have a Henry Ultra on order.  Will be delivered out here shortly
>after New Year,  if all goes well.  Will have vacuum relays
>for QSK,  and some other goodies.  I have sold my 87A;  it
>is a great amp.  But here in the tropics, day after day,  it is
>too noisy,  with the add on fan,  and builds up the shack
>temp too high,  as it sat right here beside me on the op
>table.  Air conditioning out here is not used.  We don't
>like air conditioned air;  we are here to breath fresh
>trade wind air,  which here arrives only after crossing
>absolutely thousands of miles of clear ocean from
>our North-West!!  We also have no heat  in our homes.
>So the Ultra Henry will live in the adjoining room,  with
>its fan sound; heat generation,  etc.,  not here next
>to me on the operating room.  Carl agreed just a couple
>of days ago,  that therefore the Henry Ultra was probably
>a good choice for me!!  I asked specifically what I should
>have to worry about since I had a Henry on order.  Carl
>did not respond to that question.  So,  I assume all is well,
>and I have nothing about which to be concerned!!  I respect
>Carl immensely;  that is why I asked him specifically if I had
>made a mistake in ordering the  Henry.

Since your situation is rather unique and there are no other choices what
could I say?
Only time will tell how well and long it will perform in that enviroment.
I also told you I had no hands on experience with that model.

>Possibly  Dan can have Ted Henry himself respond to some of
>the drastic accusations  about cheap  parts,  lousy metal work,
>rattling cabinets,  etc. respond,  as several of you have done a
>great job of attempting to trash a product which has over
>30 years history,  and a pretty large customer base as a
>result.

Maybe they need a bit of heat.  GM, Ford, Chrysler have been around a lot
longer and it took megabuck losses before they woke up to quality
problems.

>I think probably most of the venom here is for Dan and his
>salesmanship.
>However,  I worked for years in the electronic microwave industry
>in marketing and sales.  It is not an easy life,  and those who
>succeed
>didn't because they  were timid--  Ross Perot,  Bill Gates,  David
>Packard,
>etc.  You had better believe in the product you represent,  and you
>had
>better have a bunch of customers you can use as referrals!  And I
>personally have received a lot of email from Henry Ultra owners--
>not one wished he had not bought the Henry product.

At those prices they should be satisfied. And not all amp users are the
same. I approach the issue with contesting and serious DXing in mind. It
is not the same as an occasional SSB ragchewer.

73  Carl  KM1H

>73.  Jim,  KH7M
>On the Garden Island of Kauai

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]