[AMPS] Custom meter faces

Bill Coleman N2BC n2bc@ibm.net
Sun, 6 Dec 1998 11:34:56 -0500

Thought I'd do a bit of payback and describe some nifty software (cheap
too - $20) for making custom meter faces.

The shareware product DELTACAD http://www.dcad.com/ is great for creating
custom meter faces.

I came across a bunch of NIB Simpson 50VDC meters for an amplifier project.
I spent a couple afternoons making a master template in DELTACAD which
matched the scale layout. From this it is easy to create any custom scale
needed.

I print the scales on an HP deskjet, trim with an X-acto knife and glue them
to the backside of the original meter plate using some wallpaper seam glue.
Except for the "Simpson" script you cannot tell the replacement from the
original.

I have some quick and dirty Lotus 123 calculations for determining the
necessary line and label angles for different scale formats if anybody is
interested.

PS, I'm in no way associated with DELTACAD except as a happy user.

73, Bill  N2BC