[AMPS] Henry 8K at 1500 watts Out -- Warning Long

K3BU@aol.com K3BU@aol.com
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 16:02:59 EST

Someone wrote:

>  Buying a too-large amplifier and throttling it back is like buying a
>  new Porche 911 and blocking off the air inlet so as to limit the top
>  speed to 55-mph instead of 174-mph.  I think I'm gonna puke.
>  -  cheers, Pete

NO, buying "regular commercial" amplifier is more like having a Porshe with a
lawnmover engine and bicycle wheels.

For contesting, most of "commercial" amplifiers go up in smoke after a couple
of hours of continuous operation working the pileup or cqing. By having
properly, or overrated amplifier you have guarantee of finishing the contest
with full steam and amp lasting your lifetime. For casual DXing etc. "regular"
(mostly underrated) amps are fine or sufficient. After blowing few of the
commercial amps in the contests, I had to brew my own, with pole peg
transformer and properly rated components, I can really put a brick on the key
and go away for weekend. BTW I managed to obtain suppresion of harmonics with
amplifier about 20 dB vs. barefoot!!!

73 and happy amplifying!
Yuri Blanarovich
K3BU, VE3BMV, VE1BY, P40A, VA1A