[AMPS] Line input wiring

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 00:36:29 -0800

>I'm wiring my new ham shack and am confronted with several different
>240V outlet types, some are 3 wire, and some are 4 wire.
>
>The question is:  What is the number of wires in the typical commercial
>amp power line cord, one that should be run on 240V?
>
>I'm presently using a 3 wire input to my amp, which operates on 240V.
>The neutral line connects to the low side of the amp control circuitry
>which needs 120V.   Chassis is connected to the station earth ground.

€  With an unbalanced 240v load, if the chassis does not connect to
neutral in the mains breaker box, a potential for receiving a fatal
potential exists.  .

>Should I use a 4 wire outlet and bring the power line ground from the
>breaker box to connect to the amp chassis?

€   A 4-wire outlet is needed only if you are required to use a ground
fault interruptor.

> Or should the amp chassis be
>grounded only through the station ground, and power be brought in on a 3
>wire circuit?

€  Whether a 4-wire or a 3-wire arrangement is used, the amp's chassis
should be connected to the Neutral wire in the breaker box through the
mains' power plug and outlet.  .

Rich...