[AMPS] Experience with SS kits from CCI

John Lyles jtml@lanl.gov
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 12:44:40 -0700

I bought the AR176A kit from Communications Concepts International in 1990.
It's the 1 KW HF amplifier using a pair of Motorola MRF154 HogFets (named
for Helge O. Granberg, designer, who is now among the silent keys).

All it was is a blank printed circuit board copied from the Application
Report artwork, ferrite cores with microcoax, all capacitors, heavy wire
for chokes, resistors, and semiconductors. This design was also featured in
QEX and in a variation in QST a few years back.

I know of others who built 2 meter afterburners from their kits, to boost
the output of early HT's to reasonable levels to work repeaters from
mobile. All based on the Motorola applications.
CCI does a reasonable service in providing what you need to build RF solid
state amps, a little more than FAR Circuits provides in this area, where
the parts are somewhat exotic or difficult to pick up at Radio Shaft
stores. But the Motorola apps are none the less primative, and may lack
certain refinements such as putting limits on the bias pot to prevent
destruction of an expensive FET device.

John
K5PRO