[AMPS] Filament Choke Question

Jon Ogden jono@enteract.com
Tue, 14 Jul 98 20:36:36 -0500

Hi all,

I've been working on rebuilding my 4-1000A amp.  Part of this effort is
consisting of moving the filament transformer outside of the main RF
deck, mounting it on its own chassis and attaching the whole assembly to
the rear of the RF deck chassis.

I am considering mounting the filament choke between the two chassis.
The filament chassis is bolted to the RF deck chassis and I have opened
up a hole between the two.  I was planning on running the filament choke
through that hole and having one end mounted in the RF chassis and the
other in the filament chassis.  This would be very convenient as far as
the internal layout mechanically.

My question is on wether or not running the choke through a metal opening
will affect the performance of the choke in any way.  The choke is
approximately a 3/8" piece of ferrite with a bifilar wrap of #10 (or so)
enameled wire.  At the closest point to the metal cutout in the two
chassis it probably comes within about 1/8" of the chassis.  Because of
structural constraints, I can't open the hole any larger.

Is this a problem?  Will the presence of metal around the choke give me
problems?

Thanks es 73,

Jon
KE9NA