[AMPS] Wanted: 2 X 4CX250r amp article

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 07:21:53 +0100

John / NS1Z wrote:
>Somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind I remember seeing an article
>about a homebrew amp using a pair of 4CX250s (or 150s). Seems to me it was
>called the plumbers delight or some such.
>
>If any of you kind souls could point me towards a source for construction
>details, it would be greatly appreciated.

The Plumber's Special does work, but there are now better designs that
avoid the problems of lead-screw tuning, and don't blow hot air through
the tuned circuit.

If you want a push-pull amplifier, the W1SL design is a favorite because
it's easier to build than the Plumber's. It was originally published in
QST for February 1971, and updated into the SSB era in 'The VHF/UHF DX
Book' (available from ARRL).

Alternatively there's the W2GN parallel design, which was in Ham Radio
for October 1977.

(Commercial break: Down East Microwave have just taken delivery of kits
for W2GN-type amplifiers updated to use two 4CX400As. With a 2.5kV power
supply, they will give 1.0kW output in class AB1.)

                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek