[AMPS] Re: SSB Power Output

Bob Sutton bob.sutton@xtra.co.nz
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 12:09:39 +1200

At 15:31 21/07/98 -0400, you wrote:

>>I know other owners of MPs who are running them at 150 watts
>>SSB with no problems.
>
>It would be interesting to know what the intermod performance is like at
>that power level. Quoting SSB power output without referencing it to a
>given level of IMD isn't meaningful. The 'MP owners might not have any
>problems, but their amateur neighbours might have an awful lot.

SNIP.

In the mid '80s I had the opportunity to view the spectral output on 3
different brands of ham transcivers with an HP spectrum analyser as the
power level was increased over the manufacturers setting.  The
deterioration in the distortion products was alarming and very similar for
all three brands ... typically a 0.5dB (12W?) increase from the nominal
100W pep power level resulted in an increase of 8-10dB in the intermod
"splatter" out the sides of a 2-tone test.

Perhaps technology has progressed since them or the 'MP is capable of being
tweaked up, but I would use a small "buffer amp" and run the radio at 20W
output, rather than tweak up the "power" trim-pot if the aim is to get the
big amp "humming".

73 ... Bob, ZL1RS