[AMPS] MLA-2500

Pinky & The Brain odin@webspan.net
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 11:54:10 -0400

Greetings to the group,
		In a recent post to the reflector Dave Kirby wrote:

>Adding more capacitance can be a bad thing. The extra stored energy can
>destroy tubes in an arc. However, I dont want to get into a discussion
>on arcs !!!!!

Steve also added
>Adding more capacitance can also fry transformers with the (Ipeak)^2

>Steve
	I have just completed a " rebuild " of a 2500 which involved replacement of all the diodes in the HV rectifier as well as replacement of the original Sprague TVL-1770 ( 150uF @ 450WVDC ) filter caps. These caps were replaced with Mallory computer-grade screw terminal versions. 210uF @ 500WVDC. This conversion has brought the total capacitance to 35uF up from the original 25uF. I like others have always thought that as far as capacitive filters go, a little more is usually a little better, yielding less ripple as well as better "transient response". Was I wrong and do I have anything to worry about with this conversion? Also just as a point of reference can anyone tell me what their 2500 reads in plate voltage. My unit is minus tubes at the moment and reads somewhere between 2250 & 2400 volts according to the built in metering circuitry.
									TNX
									Steve