[AMPS] Solid State 1kw amp

Dave D'Epagnier DAVED@ctilidar.com
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 14:09:11 -0600

> >I'm intrigued by the prospect of not having to fuss with tuning every
> >time I change frequencies and especially not having to obnoxiously
> tune
> >up on the air.
>
> Unless you have a 50 plus or minus j zero ohm DC to light antenna, you
>
> are gonna have to fuss with an antenna tuner as you move about, Dave.
> .

	Not necessarily. Most solid state amplifiers can operate into a
2:1 vswr or less with no problems. This means no tuning for me.

> .  If hams had been using solid state linear amplifiers since 1910,
> and
> some scientist invented a temperature-resistant, rebuildable device
> that
> was 25% more efficient, and did Not require the use of an antenna
> tuner,
> it would widely hailed as a technological breakthrough.

I doubt it. Considering the fact that most tube amps have to be tuned on
the air...and rebuilt from time to time.

> >So, I'm looking into designing and building a 1-1.5kw broadband solid
> >state amplifier that needs no tuning, and considering using Motorola
> >MRF-150s and combiners.
>
> Why not use two, 50v MRF-430 FETs in Class AB1 push-pull - and you
> won't
> need combiners?   Motorola has info sheets on the MRF-430.

Mainly because MRF-430s are obsolete and no longer manufactured and are
bipolar devices which have lower gain and generally higher IMD than
FETs.

But, thanks anyway

Dave