[AMPS] excitement around these parts

John Lyles jtml@lanl.gov
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 17:48:30 -0600

Hi all,

We're only a few days from pressing the FIL and HV button on our new power
amp. It is installed in the final location, with a dummy load (500 Ohm each
side), next to a proton accumulator ring (storage ring), where it will
eventually drive a pair of EEV BW1643J2 triodes in grounded plate (for RF)
cathode follower operation. These can supply +/- 50 Amperes or so, with an
output Z of a few dozen Ohms up to 20 Mhz or so. This is not easy to
achieve, with normal plate ouput tetrodes, without a transformer. Ours is
directed coupled, no transformers to worry about. The load is a gap in a
vacuum pipe, where lil' protons get bunched at the right time.

I had lots of photos taken, and can make JPEG or TIFF digital images if
anyone is interested. Included are close ups of a prototype parasitic
suppressor. First I gotta get some RF going, then I'll be back.

The HV cables are Caton, like Rowe cables, and look good. We hi potted the
RF compartment for the tetrodes at 20 KVDC. No problems.

I am sharing the water cooling circuit for a lot of huge magnets; our water
is eventually radiologically contaminated, as accumulating 20-30 Ampere
proton beams has it's hazards. This means no thow away tubes. And one has
to wear a bunny suit to change a tube....

John
K5PRO