[AMPS] 8877 power supply???

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Sun, 7 Jun 98 05:54:19 -0800

>Thinking about a 2m w6po amp here using a 8877 in it. Question,
>is there a power supply such as a L4B that I might can find used that
>will run it at full output ok,

Full output for RTTY or FM has a roughly 4x higher transformer-VA
requirement than  full output on SSB.  Another consideration:  for SSB,
one can get by with a simple capacitor-type DC filter, while for
semi-continuous duty modes like FM and RTTY, a resonant-choke filter is
indicated.

>or am I going to have to build one. Also
>looks like the less drive you have the more B+ voltage is required for
>full output.

yes

>Have about 37 watts of drive here. How much B+ should I
>need and what is considered best on a 8877. 2600,2800 or ???
>--
My guess is that with 37w of drive you would need c. 4kV.  The rated
drive for full ratings (4kV@1a) is 70-plus watts.

>73's
>Robert E. Dodson
>mailto:wb5apd@stc.net