[AMPS] Wattmeters

Larry Molitor w7iuv@axtek.com
Mon, 08 Jun 1998 00:21:43 +0100

Hi all,

Just got back from vacation and going thru all the [AMPS] posts I came
across the thread on Bird accuracy. It seems we have a lot of wattmeter
experience on this list and perhaps I might benefit from it.

I have need for yet another wattmeter. In the shack now are two Bird 43's
plus several other assorted devices. What I need/want is an inexpensive HF
meter, with peak reading and 2.5 to 3 kw scales desireable but not
absolutely necessary.

The Vectronics and Palstar meters look good, but neither gives an accuracy
specification. This appears suspicious to me. Perhaps the frequency
response might not be very flat. Absolute accuracy is not as critical (to
me) as flat response.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Remember that another
Bird or a HP power meter/directional coupler is not the answer to this
particular question. Also, crossed needle meters are not desireable to me
as I have enough trouble seeing a single needle.

Thanks & 73,

Larry - W7IUV
w7iuv@axtek.com