[AMPS] vacuum relays

Peter Chadwick Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 10:18:39 +0100

Rich says:

>Anybody who sends 2 million dits and dahs in 6 days is destined for the
>nut-house.

Nope! If you do a  contest and hit around 3000 QSO's in a weekend (like the
big boys),  with at least 160 relay operations per QSO if you have full QSK,
you can hit half a million relay operations in a weekend.  If you slug the
QSK so it only drops out after a space equivalent to a dash, you'll help it
enormously, but it's still a lot of operations.

Of course, you could argue that anyone who does contests is destined for the
nut house, but that's a totally different argument. If it is so, book my

>This is most likely due to residual magnetism in the armature .  The
>usual fix is to reverse the wires to the relay coil.

Been there, done that, didn't get the tee shirt because it didn't work, sad
to say. I think Rich suggested it some time back, so I did try it. Why 50Hz
buzz though, when the ripple on the supply is under 50millivolts - and is
100Hz anyway? Puzzles me........

73

Peter G3RZP